Ampel unpretentious perennial flowers for the garden
The flowers that decorate houses and summer cottages in beautiful hanging pots are called ampelous. The name of the plant comes from the word "ampel". This is how a hanging pot is called in some European countries. You can create a holiday atmosphere, summer and warmth on the balcony by decorating a gazebo in the garden, a veranda and even a house, using these plants as indoor plants in winter. A beautiful pot entwined with a plant with flowing flowers can be the highlight of a summer celebration.
Ampel plants for the garden, which can be planted in hanging pots, surprise with their diversity. The most common ones are:
- petunia is the queen of ampel flowers. In addition to warmth and sun, she doesn't really need anything else. Although a one-year-old, she is very loved by gardeners;
- ampel fuchsia is very effective, its flowers are small, but bright;
- surfinia is often called petunia, its flowers are similar, but smaller. Shoots can reach up to 1 m;
- begonia is a shade-tolerant flower, does not tolerate the sun and heat. Looks very nice in a flowerpot, greens are at the top of the pot, and the inflorescences fall;
- ampel geraniums are planted in several bushes of different colors in one pot. Multi-colored hats with long shoots delight the eye all summer;
- nasturtium is bright and colorful. The weaving look is suitable for hanging pots, erect bushes can be a decoration for a flowerpot;
- dichondra is called a silver waterfall due to the beautiful ebb of its green leaves. The plant practically does not bloom, its dignity is in beautiful greenery, hanging by one and a half meters;
- lobelia is a bright bush with densely dotted with small leaves and flowers. Often planted only for the season, although it is perennial.
Plants are divided into several types and have their own characteristics:
- depending on preferences for light, there are light-loving and shade-loving;
- blooming ones love the sun, warmth and regular watering. Most of them are annuals. Those flowers that grow all year round require additional lighting;
- deciduous trees can do well in the shade. They may need good quality soil to maintain bright leaves, juicy streaks, or spots;
- succulents require conditions close to the desert: the soil must be air permeable, absorb moisture, the air must be dry, and abundant lighting.
Plant mobility is one of its main advantages. Even during one season, the location of the pot can be changed: in the garden, cover up some unfinished areas, hide the construction and repair areas during the celebration. Plants do not require special care, they do not need to be weeded, they do not need to deal with weeds and pests of open ground.
Blooming for more than one year
Ampel perennials greatly simplify the life of the gardener, since they do not need to be sown every year. It is enough to provide them with certain wintering conditions. These include:
- pleasant scovola winters in a humid room at a temperature not exceeding 10 ° С;
- dichondra hibernates with additional lighting and sparse watering;
- Bacopa will not bloom in winter, but if you water it moderately, it will overwinter comfortably;
- Campanula equifolia is an ampelous perennial that blooms all summer.It transfers winter together with houseplants. Popularly referred to as "bride and groom";
- perennial lobelia will overwinter if it is covered and not allowed to overcool;
- geranium can also winter in an apartment, with moderate watering and light, it blooms in winter.
What to plant and how to choose ampelous plants for a summer residence
Before planting ampelous garden flowers, you need to take into account their preferences for light, soil, watering. If you want to combine different species, you should plant with each other those flowers for which the care will be the same, for this you should study their descriptions.
Hanging flower arrangements in the garden will be easier, since they can be tolerated if the plant begins to show its dissatisfaction with the excess or lack of sunlight.
Compositions from ampelous plants
On open ground, using ampelous street plants, you can create a picture. Of the creeping plants that cover the soil, the following are suitable:
- loosestrife is a perennial plant that grows rapidly with the onset of warmth, covering the flower bed. The leaves are round, the flowers are yellow small, it can twist up and decorate the wall with its greenery;
- small periwinkle is also a perennial, which in the spring will decorate its juicy green shoots with purple flowers;
- dichondra will cover the carpet with long shoots and decorate the flower bed.
For summer cottages, ampelous plants can decorate not only the site, but also braid a fence, a gazebo, small structures (shower, cellar, outbuildings).
For mixed compositions, you can combine different flowers, or you can plant the same type of different flowers. Pelargonium, petunia, nasturtium, fuchsia, verbena will become wonderful neighbors. They feel great in the company of other plant species. You can play with:
- color, choosing contrasts: white petunia and red pelargonium, blue lobelia and yellow begonia, fuchsia and white bacopa;
- tiers. Colored balls can be used to decorate the wall in tiers. In such single pots, petunia, bacopa, lobelia, bidense will bloom spherically;
- shape and height. For example, dichondra, whose whips will hang down, perfectly coexists with petunia. Fuchsia flowers fall down, and nasturtium can flaunt in the center.
Almost all types of ampelous plants are suitable for creating hanging gardens, the main thing is to remember that the smaller the pot, the more often the plant requires watering. Ampelous flowers for the garden, unpretentious in care, will cheer you up until the coldest days.