How to plant an ampelous petunia correctly
- How to propagate ampelous petunia
- Growing petunia cuttings in the ground
- Basic rules for the propagation of petunias by cuttings
- Ampel petunias: when and how to plant
Petunia ampelous differs from other flowers in a completely unusual color. One time is enough to look at the plant and not forget about it. The length of the shoots can be up to 1.4 m, they fall down beautifully.
The creeping type of stems is not the only advantage of this flower. The leaves are silky and slightly fluffy. The amount of greenery depends on the age of the flower. This article describes in detail what ampelous petunia is and how to care for it.
How to propagate ampelous petunia
Cut off the flowers and lower petals from the cuttings cut off from the variety you like, plant it in a flower pot or other spacious dish and put it in a dark place for several weeks. This is the most popular type of breeding.
- from common seedlings;
- from last year's flower from a flower bed;
- in water.
Benefits of grafting
Cutting is not only the easiest, but also the correct way of vegetative propagation of plants. There are certain advantages of this method:
- with the help of cuttings, an exact copy of the uterine flower can be grown, including all its genetic and phenotypic properties;
- it turns out to save on seedlings and seeds, which do not always show 100% germination;
- this is the fastest way of reproduction, rooting and germination takes less time than planting seeds;
- daughter flowers are much more hardy and stronger than with seedling or seed growing methods.
It is possible to grow a strong and good flower during cuttings only if the technique, the planting time and the correct preparation of the planting material are observed.
Cutting petunias in water
How to cut ampelous petunia in water? This is one of the easy breeding methods for petunias. From the mother bush, you need to cut off the apical cuttings about 13 cm long. To prevent them from rotting in the water, you should cut off the lower petals, leaving about 5 pieces. The longer the cuttings are without water, the harder it will be for them to root, so they need to be placed in a glass as quickly as possible.
How to properly propagate petunia in water:
- it is necessary to take transparent containers;
- when the water evaporates, it is not changed, but a little topped up;
- the dishes are covered with a transparent lid for a greenhouse effect;
- after about a week, the cutting will take root and can be transplanted into the garden.
Growing petunia cuttings in the ground
To propagate a flower by seeds is long and difficult. To properly grow a petunia flower from seeds, you need to buy good seed and create a temperature for it no higher than 25 ° C.
Before planting the seeds, the earth is spilled with a light solution of potassium permanganate.The flower has small seeds, so they are planted in the finished soil superficially. Dishes with seeds should be covered with foil or glass and removed to a draft-free place with plenty of light. Plantings are prohibited from opening for three weeks. At this time, care consists only in collecting condensate from the covering film.
At this time, you need to spray well and feed the plant a couple of times. Each time the airing time needs to be increased. When the first petals appear, the cover can be removed. As a top dressing, it is better to use the products of the "Garden of Miracles" company.
Basic rules for the propagation of petunias by cuttings
Consider the following during planting and grooming:
- It is recommended to plant plants in the spring, because during this time it is easier to control sunlight and provide the necessary warmth. By the beginning of summer, petunias will begin to bloom profusely;
- cuttings can be cut even from young bushes. This culture tolerates pruning well, and for ampelous species it will be simply necessary;
- it is forbidden to use the same mixture several times for flower seedlings.
That is, having planted them in August, a whole bush with flowers will be ready by mid-autumn. And having cut the branches in April, by the beginning of June solid seedlings grow, which can be safely transplanted into the ground.
When and from which bush you need to cut the cuttings
There is no need to wait for the bush to fade, it is recommended to take cuttings from flowering bushes, choosing beautiful, strong ones.
This should be done in early August - September.
What an ideal stalk looks like:
- about 5 cm long (very long branches do not take root well);
- with 4 pairs of petals;
- you need to cut at an oblique angle and under a knot (the knot is the junction of the petal with the stem). The stem cutting can also have two cuts, in which case the upper cut must be made straight.
Ampel petunias: when and how to plant
To plant petunias correctly, you need to create certain conditions for them:
Terms of preparation of cuttings
According to experienced gardeners, for cutting a plant in February-March, the mother plant must be prepared in the summer. To do this, at the end of August, they do this with the mother liquor: they cut off the old shoots on the bush, then dig it out together with a lump of soil and plant it in a container of suitable size (about 20 cm in diameter), which is brought into a warm room so that winter and frosts do not spoil the plant.
Planting dates for rooted cuttings
It is not for nothing that this flower is considered capricious, because it is impossible to propagate by direct sowing in open ground. Very small seeds are only needed for seedling growing. Petunia is capricious both to the composition of the earth and to the observance of the sowing time.
Petunias are quite resistant to various pests, but there are some diseases that can affect them:
- if the bush is hit by a spider mite, then a transparent cobweb is visible on the petals, which causes wrinkling and drying of the leaves;
- thrips (small dark colored pests) are more likely to attack the plant during flowering. Basically, the stamens and leaves of petunia suffer from them;
- the most dangerous is aphid, it affects the whole plant completely.If you do not take action, then the flower completely dies in a short time;
- it is better to do spraying with the help of special chemical solutions that easily destroy such pests. When applying them, you should follow the instructions.
Some varieties of petunias are quite capricious. But with proper care and constant fertilization, you can plant beautiful bushes with your own hands. For reproduction, you can use any of the methods described above. There will be losses, there is no way without it, but most of them will grow and in the summer they will please with abundant flowering.